Thursday, February 21, 2008

Tear ducts Fixed???

Monday night the girls and I went up to Idaho and stayed at my brother’s house because Allison had an appointment with an ophthalmologist Tuesday morning. Most already know that Allie was born with plugged tear ducts in both eyes. There hasn’t been a day that she hasn’t woken up without her eyes glued shut from the yucky goop and all day long her eyes water and look like she has been crying. We tried massaging the ducts and warm compressions and eye drops and nothing helped. We held out making an appointment to get the ducts probed because Emmie was born with the same problem but it cleared up on its own. Allie’s eyes were way worse though and she was always miserable and had raw red skin around her eyes so we decided it would be better for her if we just went through with the procedure. So at the doctors it went as follows; they strapped her to a surfboard looking thing and strapped her arms and legs down with Velcro bands. Then they set her on a nurse’s lap while she held Allison’s head in place. Then the Dr took a tweezer-like instrument to dilate the opening of the duct. After it was open enough for him to see he took a long bendy needle and put it in to the opening to unblock the clog. He was talking to me the whole time and put me at ease telling me everything he was doing as he was doing it. He said that most kids have a blockage at the top or the bottom of the duct and Allie was blocked at both places on both eyes! Poor thing. Also on the left side he said he was a little worried because he felt some resistance while he was moving the needle back and forth and said that the bone had started growing into the duct area a bit. He said that there is still a 90% chance that the ducts will be fine and stay open but if there are problems, especially with the left side, we will have to come back in in 3ish weeks and redo things with a larger needle and if that still doesn’t take we will have to do surgery to put tubes in her ducts that will stay in for about 8 weeks and then be removed. After the procedure they handed her back to me and she was such a sad sight… she had blood coming out of both nostrils and her tears were mixed with blood. She just melted into me whimpering and it broke my heart!!! So keep your fingers crossed for a success this time around because we don’t want to have to do this again. We have already seen drastic results in just a few days so we are hoping for the best! She still needs an antibiotic/steroid ointment put in her eyes twice a day but after that is done she should be better.

10 comments:

Lynette said...

So glad you let us know. We have been thinking about Allie and the whole procedure. I hope it all clears up. We called Darren on Tuesday because we were in Rexburg and wondered if you were there. I remember you saying you had to go to Idaho for Allie. We went to the temple and had a great day. Tell Darren we loved the Backyard for lunch! It was great!!

The Bluths said...

Oh poor thing! That sounds awful. Was she crying the whole time?

Ashleigh said...

Oh my gosh, I almost started crying myself after reading that. I absolutely HATE anything horrible happening to my kids, and when it's something more seriously it just rips you up inside. I'm sorry that you had to deal with that. I hope you don't have to go again.

jlcumber said...

Poor baby girl! Dang Trac - you are way tougher then I am. I am not sure I could have been such a strong mommy. Poor baby. My fingers are crossed that she won't have to have anything else done. Please keep us updated.
xoxox
Jenn

Walker Family said...

Traci-
Oh, my goodness! We sure will keep our fingers crossed for you and our toes! What a sweet little girl! it's a good thing babies have a short term memory or I think they would hate us forever for the things they have to go through! She has great parents though!

Anonymous said...

oh i am so sorry to hear that. Poor thing. That just about brought tears to my eyes cause i can only imagine what that would be like to watch your baby have to sit there and cry!! I am sure everything will be fine with time! Good luck with what you decide to do about it!!

Valerie: said...

hey sorry about that last comment. I dont know why it said anonymous sent that..umm maybe i pushed the wrong button but if it says that again then its me Val writing these!!

K. Bitton said...

Traci! I am sorry you had to deal with that! I would have had a melt down. I hope this works!

Heather said...

I'm so glad it seems to be working. I have to agree with Lyza-it's a good thing they don't remember this stuff!

Darren and Traci said...

To answer Ashley's question; yes she was crying the whole time. It was hard to listen to but the doctor told me to listen closely to her cry and I would realize it was more of a "I'm uncomfortable and not happy" then a "I'm in pain" cry and he was right. So that made it a little easier on me but it was still heartbreaking