Or at least that's what they do for a 3 year old. For a mom they just make life a LOT more pleasant. So I love my daughter but sometimes she can be a beast. I don't know when it's coming or why it happens but she will just decide she doesn't want to listen anymore and wants to make life so much more difficult for herself by having to practically live in time out and for me by constantly having to give her some long talks about what's ok behavior and what's not.I have tried sticker charts in the past and they have worked great. Like when she does something good give her a sticker to put on it and then count them all up at the end of the day and see how many good things she did instead of focusing on the bad. Well since she is a little older, call me mean, but I expect a little more out of her because I know she understands more. So now I have implemented stickers again but she has 3 times of the day she can earn them. If she is good until lunch she gets a sticker, then if she is good from lunch until daddy gets home she gets another one. And then (her break down time of the day) from daddy being home until bedtime she can earn another one. It has worked wonders! She has yet to earn all her stickers but there is something about these little sticky wonders that can just make a child pull a 360 and become good all of the sudden and I love it. Even tonight after she had earned her last sticker she went above and beyond and still helped tidy up the place before she took off for bed without being asked to help.
I just don't get what makes kids act so badly sometimes. I know they do it mostly for the attention but Emmie does get a lot of attention around here so I don't really get what possesses her sometimes. But whatever the reason I am glad that we have at least found a temporary fix, if not hopefully a turn around in the bad behavior. So I'm all for more ideas though of what has worked for other people with their kids in case this sticker thing becomes short lived so what do you do with your kids when times get tough?
4 comments:
That's a cute idea. The stickers. i think Sydney would just put hers all over the doors and windows saying she wants to hang them up. I think children just get posessed from time to time at least mine does. She really is possessed by the devil or she is bi-polar. I have come to that conclusion. heheh No i do just think kids dont know how to talk out their feelings so they just get so foul and throw fits and act nasty.
Yeah, that is crazy that she responds so well to stickers. I like the 3 times a day thing...good idea! I'm sure I'll be there soon enough...
Traci, you are a great mom! Seriously- you're awesome!
I love your ideas and please remind me when Ashlynn reaches this super fun age. :) I just think you got one that is a lot like Laurie you LUCKY GIRL. :) hee hee
Post a Comment