Sunday, May 11, 2008

First time for everything

So I can't even begin to explain how drained I feel. You know when something happens that just sucks every last bit of energy you have and it just leaves you feeling lifeless? That was me today. To explain here's the story...
Emmie has been feeling really sick for the last week and was throwing up and had a bad fever but it broke and we thought she was on the mend thinking it was just a 24 hour flu or something. The next couple days she still wasn't feeling too hot but seemed to be getting better just had NO appetite whatsoever. One day she only ate 4 crackers and a couple sips of water. Another day she had 1 apple and a couple sips of water. Saturday she wouldn't eat anything but was drinking a lot so we figured we were good. She had been taking a nap everyday last week which she never does but when you're sick you just want to kind of lounge anyhow. So anyway, Saturday was a really warm day but she kept saying she was freezing and had on sweat pants, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt and socks and kept a blanket wrapped around her. Her lips were totally blue and she felt freezing to touch so I thought great I guess this isn't the 24 hour flu and that she's just recovering maybe it's a bad bug. Well she ended up falling asleep in the middle of the floor in the afternoon so I just picked her up and took her to bed and went out to pull some weeds while Darren mowed the lawn. I heard her over the monitor a while later crying so I went upstairs and she kept telling me her tummy hurt really bad and was grabbing her side telling me her side hurt. So at first I was thinking ok she's just going to throw up again. But once I got downstairs with her she wouldn't stop talking about it so I felt her stomach and it was rock solid. That alarmed me since she hadn't eaten anything in days. So Darren and I called the doctor on call and she told us to hurry up to Primary Children's Hospital because it sounded like appendicitis. So we hurried and got in the car forgetting that it had no gas. We have never been there before so we ended up getting on the freeway going the wrong direction and ended up on our way to Wyoming not being able to find a place to turn around. Just as we found a place I looked back at Emmie and she started throwing up every where. It was this crazy brown sandy stuff so I of course freaked as we were lost, running on fumes of gas and my baby was now throwing up and not stopping. So I picked up the phone and for the first time ever in my life dialed 911 and they guided us to the hospital. They hooked her up to an IV since she was dehydrated and took her blood and ran some tests. She was such a trooper and didn't even cry! Luckily everything came back normal. So we don't know if this is just some crazy bug that she has or what but they sent us home after she got enough fluids and was able to keep some popsicles and slushies down. Today she is still under the weather but they told us that we should keep an eye on her and if she starts complaining of side pain again bring her right in.

I swear if I have to see the inside of a hospital or doctors office for anything other then routine things for the next year I am totally going to lose it. I can't handle sick babies. Everyone is telling me that it's probably just the fact that we have moved here and the girls aren't used to the new germs and bugs that Utah has to offer but man it would be nice to have a while month go by with no sickness!

So there is the reason for me being so drained. When I put Allison down for a nap today my body just couldn't handle it anymore and I sat down and crashed on the couch. Thanks Darren for letting me take a nap. That was as good as any present he could have given me for mothers day.

Well, Happy Mothers Day all you moms out there and I hope yours had a little less sickness to go along with it. Thanks mom and Derek for the gorgeous flowers. That was very thoughtful and they smell so nice!

11 comments:

Ashleigh said...

Traci, I just don't even know what to say right now. I'm so sorry! I can't believe how much stuff has happened with the kids. It's so sad and so hard on you! I can't even fathome having to deal with all of that and all the emotional stress from it. Well, I'm glad she's okay, but that's really weird. Hopefully she gets better soon.

Walker Family said...

Oh traci!! What a tropper you have been with your sick girls!! Wow, I think you handled it better then I would have. Poor emmie! I'm glad you got a well deservered nap though!

Kimberly said...

Oh my gosh. Sounds crazy!! I wish you the best, and hope that you get a month, and then the year without sickness!

jlcumber said...

OH Traci! :( This made me start to cry. Poor little girlie! And all the stress. My mothers day wish for you is no sickies for a long long time! :(
Thank goodness for hospitals though. Poor Emmie!!!!

The Bluths said...

Did they ever say what it was?

Becky said...

Iy iy iy! Never ending! =(

Lynette said...

Traci, we love your dog and all the things you guys say about him and also all the things Dad tells us about him!! So much fun!! I am so sad your kids have been so sick. That has to be awful. It's amazing the things we learn and how much we grow by being a mom and taking care of our children.

jamieleighcall said...

Traci, I hope things are more calm at your house now. How is Emmie doing? Hopefully you will have an uneventful summer with no more sickness!

Taylor said...

Wow sounds busy! Now that you have had it all you can rest for awhile. NO MORE SICKNESS!

Taylor said...

I tagged you...Go to my blog to get the details! Have Fun!

Marissa and Blaine said...

Wow, how scary! Thank goodness it was just a bug!