Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Coxsackievirus

On Sunday Allison started acting a little under the weather, that night she started a fever and just seemed like she wasn't feeling too well. She is normally a really happy baby so when she started to whine a lot we knew she had something more going on then just a little cold. That night she woke up a couple times just burning up and didn't really want to nurse so I thought maybe she had an ear infection. So Monday morning I called a pediatrician to get her in and the earliest time they had was 4:10pm. So all day Allie was just crying and had a fever and and was drooling really bad, it was so sad because there was nothing I could do to make her feel better. When we got to the doctor they weighed her (17lbs 6oz) and took her temperature (103.6, after tylenol) The doctor came in and told me the coxsackievirus has been running rampant with kids right now so she was going to check her hands, feet and mouth to see if it could be that, sure enough it was. Poor thing has little ulcers all over the back of her throat! We have no idea how she got it since no one we know has it. I hate when the kids are under a year and get sick, they just don't know what's going on and are just so sad. So there is no treatment for the virus you just have to stay up on fluids and give them tylenol and/or motrin and wait for it to pass. Luckily I found out once the fever is gone they aren't contagious anymore and that usually last 3-4 days. But it just takes a while for the ulcers to heal. Last night was the worst for Allie though she kept throwing up food, my milk, tylenol and the maalox the doctor told me to try to give her to coat her throat so it wouldn't hurt so bad. I hope today she will be feeling a bit better and I hope Emmie doesn't get it. So everyone with kids watch out since I guess it is going around really bad.

10 comments:

jlcumber said...

Poor baby girl!!! I am so sorry!!! :( Hang in there!

Taylor said...

I've never heard of that. Sounds painful! Hope Emmy doesn't get it.

Valerie: said...

Man!! It seems like your girls always get something really terrible. Poor little thing. Hopefully she is feeling better by now and hopefully Emmie doesn't get it either.

Lynette said...

So sad about Allison being sick! You are great parents to love her through it!! Thank you so much for telling all the things you love!! That was so so so so so much fun to read!! I love it!! So many fun and quirky things you love!! And Darren ... so Darren!! Ya gotta love him!! And Emmie... that will be fun to see how she grows and what things she likes in the next stage of life!! Thanks again!! I loved reading it and I think I will read it again right now... just because I want to laugh one more time!!

Lindsey said...

That is so sad. I'm with you on sick kids under 1, cause it's not like you can make their day by snuggling with them and watching a movie or giving them an otter pop or something. My sister's little boy had this last week, but the bad news was that they left for a trip to Mexico on the first day he got it. fun for me was cleaning up throw up and poopy sheets...good times, especially when it's not your own kid.

Becky said...

I wish I could add a post so that everyone could see, but...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRACI!!!

Erin said...

I've had something similar to this. I thought it was strep throat at first, but the doctor said that once you get it, it's easier to catch. sorry... I've had it three times in a year and a half. Good luck!

jlcumber said...

Hey girlie!
A) I hope everyone is feeling much better now!!
B) I went to see your sister. I posted some pictures. go to my blog and then to Jennifer Lynn Photography on the right. :)

Walker Family said...

Traci I am so sorry! Allison has has a rough first year already! I hope she is feeling 100% better! My sister has that going around in her ward I guess the kids were spreading it in ther nursery there so they had to close it for a month. We really do hope she feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

I have this same exact sickness right now. I had a fever a sore throat some yellow puss bubbles on both tonsils